Have A Pet Safe Christmas

Since animals are drawn to Christmas decorations, extra caution will be needed to keep your pet safe. You can enjoy the holidays without having to make last-minute trips to the veterinarian by reviewing items that could be harmful (or fatal) to your pet.
Tinsel on your Christmas tree is one of the biggest risks. The shiny material attracts cats and dogs. They both have a history of eating tinsel, which can sever their gastrointestinal tracts. There will be a need for surgery if it forms a ball.
Sadly, many objects that pets swallow won't appear on x-rays unless air is also trapped with the objects. Due to the difficulty and expense of the diagnosis, your pet will be in pain.

Christmas Tree Safety:

The sap from a Christmas tree mixed with water may be more toxic than the chemicals used to keep the tree fresh, despite the fact that a tree standing in chemical-free water may seem safe enough. It's possible for bacteria from standing water or fertilizers used when the tree was still in the ground to upset your stomach or worse. Be aware of the additional chemical risks that spray-on snow adds.

Your pet may chew on electric cords, but the risk increases if the wires are connected to bright lights. Unplug the lights before leaving the house.


Christmas Ornaments and Decorative Items:

The ornaments' hanging hooks run the risk of being swallowed by curious animals and stepped on if they fall into carpet. Lead may be present in painted ornaments and toys.
If your dog can get his mouth around a small glass ornament, it could be mistaken for a ball and break. It can seriously harm the gastro-intestinal tract if consumed.
Live Christmas flowers and plants are typically poisonous. If pets consume lilies, it can result in kidney failure, while poinsettias, mistletoe, Christmas cactus, and holly can cause a variety of issues, including mouth irritation, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Many florists use poisonous cocoa mulch—deadly to cats—in potted plants.
Pets, like small children, are naturally curious, and candles should be kept out of reach. Remember that any flame emits carbon monoxide, so avoid using candles when your windows are tightly closed in the winter.

Christmas Foods Safety:

Keep chocolate, alcoholic beverages, raisins, and onions away from pets. Garlic, fatty turkey skin, many spices, and bones may do more than just make your pet sick. When baking, never give your pet any yeast dough. The dough has the potential to expand and cause fatal consequences.
Plastic wrap and plastic bags are non-seasonal items that can be harmful to your pet for a variety of reasons. Remember, our stomachs are vertical, whereas our pets' bellies are suspended like a hammock. We can easily pass gas, but dogs, particularly large breeds, can die from gastric torsion, which occurs when an overly full stomach bloats and twists.

Other Holiday Season Risks:

While you are enjoying the wonders of winter, keep in mind that your pet may become hypothermic. Additionally, road salts and chemicals on their paws must be washed away. They can irritate the pads but, for obvious reasons, should not be licked off.
Christmas toys and gifts frequently include corrosive batteries. Chewing on a battery can cause ulcers in the mouth, tongue, and gastro-intestinal tract. Take care not to leave any medications exposed during the season's hustle and bustle.