12 Poisonous Plants For Dogs
Some plants are more dangerous than others. When in doubt, avoid using a plant. The following are some of the most common poisonous plants for dogs
- Autumn Crocus
This fall-blooming flower can cause mouth and stomach irritation, severe digestive upset (possibly including bloody vomiting), organ damage (including the liver and kidneys), bone marrow suppression, seizures, and even death.
- Azaleas & Rhododendrons
These flowering plants can cause vomiting and diarrhea, as well as loss of appetite, weakness, heart problems, coma, and death.
When ingested, foxglove can cause vomiting and diarrhea, as well as heart problems that can be fatal.
Lilies, while not as toxic to dogs as they are to cats, can cause stomach upset. Furthermore, some species (such as the calla lily) contain a highly irritating substance that can cause painful burns to a dog's mouth, lips, and throat.
Heart issues are specifically brought on by lily of the valley.
Vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty breathing, seizures, an abnormal pulse, dilated pupils, coma, and kidney or liver failure can all result from this plant. Consuming these could be fatal.
This flowering shrub is commonly found in gardens. However, if ingested, it is harmful to your dog's heart. The effects on the heart can be fatal, in addition to causing gastrointestinal upset, excessive drooling, and seizures.
- Sago Palms
This popular tropical plant is commonly grown outdoors, but indoor varieties are also available. Ingestion of the plant (especially the seeds, which are the most toxic part) can result in bloody vomiting and diarrhea, as well as liver failure.
- Spring Bulbs (Tulips, Hyacinths, Daffodils, Amaryllis, & Irises)
These flowers are all toxic to dogs. They have the potential to cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy/depression, abdominal pain, and mouth irritation. Furthermore, large amounts of most of these flowers (particularly the bulbs) can result in drooling, tremors, breathing difficulties, and an abnormal heart rate or rhythm. Ingestion of daffodils can cause seizures and dangerously low blood pressure.
- Tomato Plants
The ripe tomato fruit is safe for dogs. The rest of the plant, on the other hand, can cause digestive upset, weakness, disorientation, dilated pupils, and a slow heart rate.
Toxic Holiday Plants
Aside from the previously mentioned Easter favorites like lilies and tulips, certain holiday seasonal plants should be avoided. This includes the following:
Poinsettias can cause stomach upset if eaten, though their toxicity has been exaggerated.
Drooling and severe stomach upset are caused by holly, and its sharp leaves may cause physical damage to the stomach or intestines.
This plant also causes stomach upset, which can lead to more serious side effects such as an abnormal heart rate, difficulty breathing, seizures, collapse, and (in large amounts) death.